Sunday, December 11, 2011

Wheres the bottom

Lately I have asked myself where does the bottom end in life. How much is too much. In the last week I have seen my peers and friends start to hit the bottom. This also includes me. Is it the holidays? The daily Grind of work, family, or just the amount of daily stress.

This week I have wondered how I could help these people that seem to be drowning in life's emotions.

On Tuesday I was told that a peer I worked with went looking for help for the depression he suffered through due to the loss of his job. He had been let go for very stupid reason but that is the way this organization goes. Shortly after he was let go he told me his lively hood was taken from him. His job was his way of supporting his family. A man of this generation his job is what defines him. This is what gave him the self worth his accomplishments what defines him. On Tuesday what once defined him and the sense of self worth caught up to him. He gave his wife a kiss in the kitchen and told her he loved her and then walked out in the garage. He took his life...... His wife heard the shot and saw his lifeless body lying there. He was holding a note in his hand that he was sorry for being a failure to his wife and family because what defined him was taken from him and he could no longer feel that his worth in the world was needed anymore. He had nothing else to give. Granted he had lead a very eventful life and could and would tell you the crazy stories of his military career, his ownership of a bar and just the crazy jokes he knew. He was such a lively person. A man that by just looking at him when he smiled or said a joke it changed your day. Where was his bottom. How can one thing define a person?

Another is a friend that has had a year of nothing but a downward spiral. When her husband past away her life was turned upside down. Once again what defined her and was her happiness that she knew for so long was taken. Since his death she has tried to mask her pain with alcohol, meds and blackouts. During these blackouts she has cut herself at least a dozen times. From her arms, legs and stomach. With this being said every time she has gone to the hospital nothing was ever done. The clear cry for help was ignored and still is. Where and how do you see or hit we hit the bottom?

With today's life an stress it doesn't matter what the stresses are or the generation that you were brought up in. Each and everyone has a bottom and it may rear its ugly face and blindside you and everyone around you. Sometimes we maybe able to help ease the sting of it, then times the sting is so painful we just want it to stop and cant see a way out.

With that being said no matter what the stress or pain is we cant just let one thing or person define us as a person. We as a society have no Independence as individuals. Something always has to define us. After reading this think about what defines you? Are you able to know where your bottom is? Are you able to see when the cry for help is there?

Today's Quote:
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. It's sad when hearing news like this. It's unfortunate that we can't see this in people and reach out. It is a silent battle that is kept within.

    I fortunately have never been depressed - down, but not depressed so I can't address knowing where my bottom is.

    As for defining myself . . . I need to sit back and sip a cup of kool aid and think on that . . . However, I can ask you - what defines you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very sad. Unforntuatly this is the way life goes and the people that are close and not so close end up leaving at some point. It is all how you how your able to handle it.....

    As for what defines me I will post in my next blog. Along with some other thoughts.

    ReplyDelete